I have been running all around lately but still like to have dinner ready for my family. This recipe was almost no prep and so tasty!
I buy the pre-diced onions and peppers, and a rotisserie chicken from Harmon’s to save on time and cleanup.
6 servings. 338 calories per serving.
- 6 Whole wheat tortillas- 130 calories each
- 1/2 Cup diced yellow onion
- 1 Cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 Tbs. organic butter or olive oil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 3 Cups shredded chicken breast- I bought a rotisserie chicken and only used the white meat without the skin. So easy and fast! For vegetarian option: switch out the chicken for black beans.
- Frontera green enchilada sauce packet- This brand is my favorite and tastes SO good. It is at most grocery stores or linked below from thrive market.
- 12 Tbs. lite shredded mozzarella cheese- 2 TBS per enchilada
- Sliced avocado
- Plain Greek yogurt
Preheat the oven to 400
1. Add 1 Tbs. butter or olive oil to a pan. When heated, add diced onions, bell peppers, and salt and pepper to taste. Sauté until onions are translucent. Note: you can also add minced garlic and jalapeños to this mixture.
2. Spoon 4 Tbs. onion/pepper mixture and 1/2 Cup shredded chicken (or black beans if you are vegetarian) into the whole wheat tortillas. Roll and place in baking dish.
3. Top rolled tortillas with 1 package frontera green enchilada sauce and 2% mozzarella cheese. (2 Tbs. cheese per rolled tortilla)
4. Bake at 400 for 15 minutes.
5. Top with 1 Tbs. plain Greek yogurt and 1 slice avocado. ENJOY!
If you are using my 28-day meal plan, you can implement this meal in your meal chart the following way:
- Grains section: Wheat Tortilla- 130 calories
- Protein/Dairy: (Chicken, Greek Yogurt and Cheese)- 141 cals
- Veggies: Peppers/Onion mixture- 13 cals
- Healthy fat: Organic Butter (or olive oil)/Avocado- 40 calories
- Flavorings/Sanity: Frontera Sauce- 14 Calories
Total Calories for 1: 338
Tip: Since these enchiladas are higher in calorie, I would eat 1 cup steamed broccoli with salt before you eat your enchilada. This will get the fiber and bulk of the broccoli in your stomach with only adding 30 calories to your meal. It always helps me mentally to end my meal with something that satisfies my tastebuds but also have a full stomach! Don’t forget to get those veggies in and use them as tools to prevent overeating! Nourish first, satisfy second 🙂
Total Calories for this meal with broccoli before: 368
You can get this sauce at Thrive Market found here.